You usually have to push the new brushes up to get them on the slip rings, but the regulator should fit into the hole with ease.

There are other problems beside a bad regulator, though -- worn slip rings that eat the new brushes off very quickly, and internal shorts, etc., but none of those usually result in an overcharged battery.

If you cannot get the new regulator in correctly, I'd replace the alternator.

Peter