On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:53 -0500, "Fmiser" <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jim Cathey wrote:
>
> > > Ah. For those of you who haven't experienced it yet, this is
> > > the real power and value of Linux/BSD - easy, expandable,
> > > powerful customized scripts.
> >
> > Or Mac OSX!
>
> Only sort of. At least last I knew (10.2) there were a lot of
> applications that were not scriptable.  I suppose there are
> getting to be a number of Gnome or KDE apps that aren't
> scriptable either, but the evidence I've seen shows OSX is less
> accessable to shell scripts.

OSX will run shell scripts just fine; all the usual unix utilities are there,
and what it doesn't have you can get from MacPorts.    If you're saying that
many OSX applications don't have much command-line awareness, that's probably
true.

> No, Applescript doesn't count. It's better than DOS batch files
> - but just.

Applescript mystifies me.  I've never really had a serious go at it, but the
from the glimpses I've had it's just really different from other scripting I've
done. It did not look intuitive at all.