OSX will run shell scripts just fine; all the usual unix utilities are there, and what it doesn't have you can get from MacPorts. If you're saying that many OSX applications don't have much command-line awareness, that's probably true.

I use a variety of sh scripts to do this and that.  Works great.
Don't know about cli access to the GUI apps.  Except for lilypond,
I've been using it to engrave some music for church, and its GUI
interface is clumsy and annoying.  (The output is magnificent, and
it's free.)  But I just made a Makefile and call the underlying CLI
app and now it does it all for me, no missing steps.  Love it.  Edit
in emacs, and punch up make to see the PDF's in a few seconds.  No
need for WYSIWYG, I prefer non- anyway.

Applescript mystifies me. I've never really had a serious go at it, but the from the glimpses I've had it's just really different from other scripting I've done. It did not look intuitive at all.

It was odd, but I used it successfully the other day.  Due to
an unfortunate set of circumstances I had to duplicate a dual-boot
CD, but couldn't seem to do it with the native OSX tools.  I had
Toast on the old Mac, and it'll do a SCSI-to-SCSI raw copy, except
that the old Mac OS doesn't (by default) offer you the ability
to tolerate an UN-mounted filesystem.  I had a newer (8.0) OS that
could mount the source volume,  but for whatever reason my version
of Toast would come up on it with a dead menu system.  Couldn't use
any pulldown menus, and you needed one to switch to SCSI-to-SCSI
copy mode.  Found an applescript for controlling Toast, and ran _it_
to switch modes.  Thereafter I duped the disk just fine.

I think most of the old Mac OS apps were apple-scriptable, but that
may have fallen out somewhat in OSX world.

-- Jim