Yes, indeed, if a bearing is bad enough to replace, so are the races. I used to (45 - 50 years ago) drive my Chevy races out using a piece of wood as a punch - very carefully - always worked great for me. I've never removed a Mercedes race, though - lucky enough to not have to yet.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Wheel bearings cont...

You should always replace the races as a matter of course -- if the bearing rollers are bad, so are the races, and they will eat a new set of rollers in a few thousand miles. BTDT.

You can drive them in and out with a soft punch, or splurge on the MB driving tool. Have a care to get them in right way round, and make SURE the seat is clean and that the new race is seated properly.

Timkens fit tighter and are harder to install than SKF, but either will work. Available at McParts. Wheel seal, however, is not.

Do replace the seal each time you take the bearings out, even if just for inspection. This is the usual failure point -- seal wears, water and salt get in, bearings go to the bad place.

Peter