From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:01 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Rental car this week

I had one of those a year or two ago in BNA, and even though I have a
fairly skinny butt the seats felt like I was sitting in a 5 gal bucket.
I can't imagine a fatass sitting in one, though I guess the padding
would help.  I thought it was buzzy and noisy, and the radio was not
particularly intuitive (whatever happened to a tuning knob and a volume
knob and a few buttons to push/hold to set for the stations?).  Once I
figured it out it sorta made sense in a Chinglish kind of way.  The
first one I got from the rental place (just a few thou miles on it), I
got about 100 ft and the RF half shaft/CV was clunking and screeching,
so I went back and got another one.  ("CV joint, whussat?"  Uh, that
means the wheel might break or fall off if I hit a good bump.)  When I
got back a couple days later they still had that first one on the rental
lot.  But you are right it was a reasonable mover and easy on gas.

--R

Curt Raymond wrote:
> So this week I'm back in southern California. I flew in late on Monday
> thinking I would get a better rental car,
WRONG! I've got a PT Cruiser.

> Actually if I'm honest I'll admit that its not anywhere near as crappy a car
> as I thought it'd be. Its UGLY sure,
and the headrests are about the most uncomfortable I've ever seen...
> The floor mounted shifter is kinda cool, the gauges are mostly obscured by
> the steering wheel and the radio
controls are annoying although it does have an aux jack...

> I'll tell you what though, I've been thrashing the crap out of the thing,
> every freeway onramp I've taken has
been at full throttle and the thing that surprises me is that there isn't the
torque steer I'd expect from such a
reasonably powerful small car...