So I finished up the complete ac overhaul on this 116 300SD for my dad. When I got the brand new compressor out to fill in the oil, I noticed that I could not turn the thing over by hand. Every compressor I have dealt with you could easily turn them over by hand unless they were locked up or about to lock up. I did get it to turn over using a screwdriver in a couple of the slots on the front of the clutch. So I filled in the oil, turned it over several times per the instructions. Pull a vacuum for an hour, it holds for an hour, charge with proper amount of 134, fire it up, compressor kicks in, seems to be cooling although cant tell yet how well. Problem is, compressor sounds like a can of marbles. This cant be good. I am NOT going to be happy having to pull the system apart again, since the system will have to be opened again I assume I will have to replace the drier yet again. Not to mention the refrigerant, oil etc I will be out. Well, anybody got any ideas? This compressor sure doesnt sound right to me, right from the stiff turning over by hand down the the loud noises it makes. I fear its probably shredding its insides which will require yet another flush. What a nightmare!!!! Somebody tell me its normal and it will quiet down on its own after a while. Might try putting in some more oil thru the low side and see what happens.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com