Sounds like that little step may be the problem then. Too bad you don't have a brake drum lathe. That would solve the problem right quick.

Course you could always weld some washers between the disk and the axle so the disk rides farther out. But then you have to do the same with the caliper...Nah never mind too much work.

Just joking you know.

Manfred

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:13:14 -0400
From: Frederick W Moir <fred.s...@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 190DT Brakes

Manfred.
The new shoes and the metal remains of the old were the same width.
The new rear disc/drum ( Ex "Bent") were, as near as I could judge,
equal to the old and crusty ones. The new shoes fit snugly against
the backing plates, rusty though they are. My only area of concern is
the drum part itself. There is a step inside between where the shoe
sits and where it mates to the hub and  IF it were not cut back far
enough during manufacture it would cause the slight interference that
was relieved by chamfering the shoes edges. I put the old disc/drum
back onto Bent and they were fine.  "Still crazy after all this time"
Thanks & TTFN
Fred Moir
Lynn MA
Diesel preferred