So I woke up dis mohnin wif da answer in my haid:

I took apart the vac pump yesterday, put everything back together properly (though it was proper as it was). I noticed that I could see the diaphragm screw through a little hole in the front part that holds the check valves, right there in the middle. Did not make an impression on my conscious awareness at that point. So during the night it struck me that there should be no hole there, I guess my brain reprocessed the process and came up with that little flash of insight. I think what happened was that when I first checked it out a few weeks back, that screw had backed out and the diaphragm was not really moving. (The loc-tite didn't I guess). I tightened it back, still didn't get vac, got all new parts and rebuilt it, still didn't get vac, redid it again yesterday, checked the cam and rocker/roller, still didn't get vac. The screw must have pounded that little hole out, nice little round punch in that pot metal. It sucks and blows, back and forth. So I guess off to the junkyard tomorrow or maybe some JBWeld, see if that does the trick.

--R