Yep Buick had the straight 8, thus the 8 holer. The straight sixes were known as six holer buicks. As GM tried to push everyone toward v-8s, the salesworms made a big deal of selling customers that they needed and 8 holer. I think they still do, even though the "holes" are vestigal and as useful as t*ts on a boar.

The MB 300SL had working ports on the fenders, behind the front wheel to duct away heat in the engine compartment. The 53-55 corvettes were styled as a preview of 55/56 Chevies. Then the stylers decided to copy the 300SL. SO the 56-63 Corvette had the styled, but useless side vents and "route 66" went on the boob tube, and a 40 year run of "classics" was born.