Just started my '87 300D for first time today; 28 hours since I shut it down yesterday; 'best I could tell, it took about 4 seconds for oil pressure to go to 3 bar after start and at idle. I'll try that and the '91 350SDL again tomorrow. 'Think this has been mentioned before - if your oil filter canister is the type with the small pipe down through the middle of the filter, next time you change oil and filter, be sure to put new little O-rings (2 on mine) on that center pipe and make sure the little hole in the side of the pipe near the top of the pipe is clear and air/oil can flow freely through the little hole and down the pipe.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Bigham" <edward_baldh...@earthlink.net>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Will the real expert on oiling system of Engine 102 please stand up? Time lag

Hello Wilton; I'm baaaaack !

It seems that from a stone cold overnight wait, it's about 5 seconds from the time the engine starts until oil pressure is shown on the dash gauge. During that time the engine makes little metallic tapping and clicking noises.

From a 1 hr rest period and a semi-warm restart, it's more like 1 second from the time the engine starts until oil pressure is shown on the dash gauge.

I haven't had an opportunity to restart after a real road trip and a rest, but I can tell you it's slow, and the engine makes larger metallic tapping and clicking noises, which some have dismissed as "timing chain rattle," or something like that, until the dash gauge indicates oil pressure. These noises are big enough that my son the race engine builder was impressed by the noises.

I'm sure there can't be a whole lot wrong, because I can cruise at 80 mph all day (I don't like to drive a whole lot faster than that). I have almost no noticeable oil consumption. I have driven the car at indicated 105 mph and it had some left. Total indicated mileage 155, 7xx miles. Mileage driven by me 31,000 so far.

Thanks for your interest.  I'll be interested to see what you think.

From: Robert Bigham <edward_baldh...@earthlink.net>

Subject: Re: Will the real expert on oiling system of Engine 102 please stand up?

Hello Wilton

Good question, I suppose. Right now all I can say is "Long enough that I think it shouldn't take that long."

I will try to time it the next several times I start up and will furnish a number as best I can.

Thanks for your interest.  Robert

  2. Re: Will athe real expert on oiling system of Engine 102
     please stand up? (WILTON)
Message: 2