Hello Wilton, Curt, Tyler, and any lurkers

Thank all of you for your interest.

Wilton, your time lag seems like mine.   You don't apparently have noises, and
I do.  The noises are not big except after a real road trip - it seems as if
things really drain dry after a stop when the oil is as hot as it gets on the
highway.

My oil filter has a long bolt through the middle with no pipe, no hole, no
spear, and no o-rings.  Bolt has threads on the bottom and accepts a sealing
washer on the top.  The filter housing drains essentially dry when filter
removed.

Curt - the noises go away when the oil pressure comes up, for which Gott sie
Dank.

Tyler - I hope to avoid an experience like yours.  I'm sure you understand why.
 But I do have a spare engine that's supposed to be good with 106K miles on it.

I have read that one ought to replace the timing components "somewhere between
150,000 miles and 200,000 miles."  I suppose I ought to overhaul the timing
components with my 156,000 miles and strange noises.  As best I can tell, if
the timing chain lets go, I'm likely to need that spare engine.

Best regards to all

Robert