The basic car is very strong, and will last well.  Many of the common wear
items can be found on the net for cheap, like brake rotors etc.  There are
expensive parts on the car, and they can break, but that can be said of any
car.  I had an old Pontiac Sunbird. Car was cheap as chips to buy new and
run, but had a few parts that were priced crazy, when taking the value of
the car into account.  A coil pack for most similar cars can be for for $40,
but on this model, for two years only, it was almost $400!

The big 7 series was made to run up and down the autobahn all day at high
speed, so most of the mechanical bits are build to take it.  There are lots
of electrical bits on the car, but again, for the expensive stuff, there are
enough of these cars made, that you shouldn't have any problems finding the
stuff used in a bone yard.  I'm sure if you look around, there are places
that deal in just parting out older BMWs, just as there are for Mercedes and
Porsche.

Like most cars, if you drop if off at the dealer for everything, it will
soon bankrupt you.  A friend of mine had an old '76 300D, which when to the
dealer for every little thing.  I could have run a small fleet of Ferraris
for what he spent on it!

Once a year or so, I'll go over a car, and check every electrical
connection, make sure its clean, and give it a dab of dielectric grease for
good measure.  Also check that all the grounds are clean and in good shape.
I've never had an electrical failure from a bad connection yet.

Running a complicated car can be fun too, not just a burden.  All depends on
how you look at it.

Ed
300E