Alex Chamberlain wrote:

"Hydraulics cost money---how high pressure do you want to pump?"
Yeah, obviously, but I still want to know the details.  I wonder if
the car from which the engine was pulled (a late-model S-class,
presumably, but I don't know which chassis just by looking at the
engine) had SLS, and if so, if the SLS hydraulic pump was powerful
enough to run all the systems in the Grosser (windows, seats, locks,
automatic martini mixer, etc.).  Or did they figure out a way to run
the pump from the 600 engine with the new V12?  Since I bought my Euro
126 project car with four-wheel SLS all this hydraulic stuff is
suddenly of great interest to me.

I don't know anything about W140 S600s or their hydraulics, but the W100 hydraulic pump is set up in tandem with the power steering pump. That's it mounted on the right side of the v12, with the cooling fins on it. http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/1518/68600pullmanengine7ht.jpg

The M100 has a big fluid reservoir alongside the pump. That might be it on the left side of the firewall, though the original was black metal. The fluid that goes in it is $42 for 500mL.

So my uneducated guess is that it was just a matter of mounting a pump and rerouting lines. That part was probably child's play for the mad scientist with the skills to undertake such a project.

Speaking of mad scientists, check this out: http://mbgrand600.com/Page80.html

Tom