From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <ka...@striplin.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:16 PM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OK, experts, what do I try next?

The headlight wipers will not come on unless you have the headlights on at the same time you are doing the windshield washers. In any case, you do not have to cut the wire to the headlight wiper motors, there are connectors, just follow the wire from the headlight back a little bit and you will see it. Seems like you have a short in the headlights to me somewhere.

Wonko the Sane wrote:
My '86 300E is blowing the #3 fuse.

According to the fuse panel lid, #3 is in charge of parking / tail light
right, headlamp cleaning unit, illumination: license plate, instrument,
control elements [not sure that last one means].

I have tried the following -- always resulting in a blown fuse when I turn
the headlights.

- unplug right rear bulb cluster
- remove both license plate bulbs
- unplug instrument cluster

Each time, the fuse still blows.

I can't find any way to unplug the headlight wipers, other than to cut what I think are the wires (NOT going to go there, even though the wipers don't
work).

Any suggestions? I have awakened about 3 AM several times over the past few weeks trying to troubleshoot this. I am (was) an electronics technician, so
I should be able to track down a short -- but can't seem to. I am pretty
close to disconnecting ground from the battery and using an ohmmeter to see
if something that should be "hot" is actually ground, but I suspect
unexpected ground would feed back through the entire wiring harness.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com