I strategically inserted the word "civilized" as a modifier. Depends
on what your definition of "is" is :-)

The condition of healthcare is deplorable in many countries - including ours.

I find it intriguing that many do not want to extend healthcare to
immigrants who are working and paying taxes. That's part of the divide
in this country. Those with good health and/or good healthcare are
often oblivious to the fate of everyone else. I'm all for a two-tiered
healthcare system here. It's the American way to want to pay more for
better services. But we need to bring those not covered by any
healthcare up to some minimum coverage and keep the for-profit
insurance industry from finding ways to deny coverage to their most
expensive customers. Denying coverage for pre-existing conditions and
for people who filled in their birth date wrong on the application
form has to stop. If someone wants to pay $100/month so they don't
have to go on a waiting list with everyone else, let them. But anyone
with a burst appendix still goes to the front of the line.

-Dave Walton