you wrote:<<crawl under a pick n pull car and liberate an example. Then go home
and cut something out of heavy rubber?>>

Good suggestion - but so far I haven't found any locally. Have sent emails to junk yards all over the country asking for help.

Also, I removed the control rod yesterday to see if I can fabricate some kind of bushing -- I have photos if anyone is interested --

BTW, Marshall suggested the "MB Classic Center" - I asked them yesterday and they responded this morning - the control rod is NLA. But even though the bushing is not shown in any parts diagrams I'm trying to get one of those next. It's been my experience that if it's not shown on the parts diagrams it's impossible to find.

Thanks for the help!!

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net