Sorry, I didn't notice your car doesn't have an electronic component to the
speedo.
BillR

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Bill R
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:52 AM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Instrument cluster for 67 200D

I think you might be on the right track about the dimmer, and I think
several list members recommend just wiring around it as the dash lights are
dim enough to not blind you.  When I had some of the other issues you
describe it turned out to be a good fuse [tested by multi-meter] whose
contact with the fuse holder had mostly corroded over the years.  It got a
small amount of current through it, but not enough to do the job.  A
replacement fuse - and not the one I was expecting it to be - cured it.
Now I have a driver side headlight that will not come on unless I first turn
the fog lights on.  I can then turn the fog lights off and the headlight
will work as needed for the rest of the day.  I think it is mischievous
elves, myself.
BillR
1981 300SD  312k miles