Don't drain it - suck it out via the dipstick tube.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <ka...@striplin.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 6:59 PM
Subject: [MBZ] 2.5 turbo alternator adventure

So a few weeks ago messing with my new 90 2.5, I discover it is not charging. I swap in a different regulator and it still does not charge. The regulator that was on there had really short brushes, the one I put on had long ones. Anyway, I go to pull the alternator only to discover the lower bolt partially rounded off, and the bolt will not budge. Crap. I ended up having to CUT the alternator off, and part of the mounting brackets as well. Took about 3 hours but I got it off. I then pull the remaining bracket off the engine and install another one. I put on a different alternator along with the same regulator I had used before because it has much longer brushes. Still not charging. I also notice when turning on the key non of the lights come on (bat, brake, oil, coolant etc) OK, so I pull that alternator back off and go pull one off a 260E to try. BTW, you all remember me asking about the difference in these alternators. EPC says different part numbers. The pulley and everything else is identical between the diesel version and the gas version. Anyway, before installing this 3rd alt, I pull the regulator out to check it and it has short brushes, so I put the one I have with nice long ones. Install alternator, still no charge. DAMN. I was about ready to give up for the day when I decide to pull the regulator with the long brushes out and put the one that was in it with short ones back in. Now it charges just fine. WTF? I guess a regulator can go bad and still have nice long brushes on it? There might not have been anything wrong with the alternator all along, it might have just been the regulator. I was then going to drain the oil and discovered the oil plug rounded off. DAMN!!! How I am going to get that out?
--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com