Dieselvolk,

Third episode yesterday a.m. on the way to work.  Same pattern: about 5
gallons left in the tank, cold morning (cold for the Low Country, that
is, which is about 50 degrees).  I have two new clear in-line filters
and one new main filter in the car (Thanks Gary!) so I decided to see if
I could make it to the parking lot at work, so I could change the
in-line filter during my lunch break.  I was able to drive about 5 miles
and got within about 4 blocks before the engine died and would not
restart.

Took me about 10 minutes on the side of the road, in a light rain, to
replace the in-line filter.  Old filter was really plugged up with junk,
probably dead fungus/mold from the tank because I administered a dose of
biocide about two months ago.  Once the air was purged, car ran like a
top again.

I'm still planning to change the tank strainer, just need to get my new
E300 on the road first.  More on that front in another email...

Very respectfully,
/s/
LCDR Max Dillon
'87 300TD 316k miles