Fixx died at the age of 52 of a fulminant heart
attack<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myocardial_infarction>,
after his daily run, on Vermont Route
15<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Route_15>in
Hardwick <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwick,_Vermont>. The autopsy
revealed that atherosclerosis
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atherosclerosis>had blocked one coronary
artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 50%.
[*citation needed
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>*]Some who
opposed his beliefs said this was evidence running was harmful.
[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx#cite_note-bloomberg.com-1>However,
Fixx came from a family where the men had poor health histories.
His father suffered a heart attack at age 35, dying of a second at
42.[3]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx#cite_note-2>