From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of LarryT
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:10 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] MB prices, then and now

Hi Don -
    As you noted, quality may have suffered, but there are many more things
at work here that dictate inflation of 1 specific model.  In addition to the

reduced quality you mentioned are things like: improved electronics which
also cost* much less & do more,  increases in productivity when building the

cars through the use of robots, reduced overheads, changes in the materials
used in the cars, building cars in non-union areas (the ML in Al.) - all of
these and more go into the price escalation.

    While your calculation of the increased price was correct it's not
accurate when looking at one particular product.  Also, the E350 may seem to

a grandson of the E300, there's been a lot of changes made to it - perhaps
enough to consider the E350 no longer related to the E300.  New bodies, new
engines, new controls, new materials of construction,  etc may make it no
longer a straightforward  comparison.

    But I'm glad to hear the price of the '91 E300 - it gives me a pretty
good idea what my 91 300D cost - I'd guess at around $51k or $52K.

* = consider the cost hard drives and memory - and last I heard there were
over 2 dozen computers on a new MB!.  Memory costs have been driven down so
far that some companies have been pushed near bankruptcy.  In the last ~20
years we've gone from having 10MB or 20MB hard drives to 500GB - 2TB hard
drives for similar prices - or cheaper.  (that's the technology increase I
experienced in the corporate world at least)  More ability in less space.

Take Care -
LarryT
91 300D

OilAnalysis Time?
Looking for Weber Parts or Porsche Posters?
www.youroil.net