From: "Curt Raymond" <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 1:03 PM
To: "Diesel List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Need help selecting Windows laptop

A cheap anything is a cheap anything...
I carried a Dell Inspiron 8500 (I think it was an 8500 anyway) for 3 years. It went back and forth across the country and Atlantic Canada a few dozen times and never failed me except the time I broke a key trying to get some dirt out from under it. Dell replaced the keyboard under warranty. Then I got a new job and an HP nw8000 which served me well for 2 years (it was used when I got it) when I got my Dell Precision M90 that I've had for almost a year now, both were pretty much flawless but the HP has the equivalent (I've still got it on spares duty) of a million miles and makes some scary noises which is why I pushed to replace it.

All three computers probably ran somewhere between $2500 and $3500 when they were new, these are high end workstation laptops, the M90 is faster than the dual processor 2.8ghz HP workstation I'm using right now.

A $20 computer running an OS thats too new for it (like XP if it was built for 2000) will be slow and 1GB of RAM isn't enough anymore unless you're using a stripped down OS.

-Curt