I have never gotten the allen head bolt off the steering column except with a rattle wrench. The material is soft, and an allen socket on a breaker bar only distorts the allen head. (unless it has been removed before and not hammered in as tight as the factory.)

I concur with Jim. Every turn signal stalk I have removed has been held in with two screws and you can thread the plug into and up the steering column without removing the steering wheel. That said, I have never had to do the job on a 124.

I could not figure a way to change the brake booster on a 107 without removing the steering wheel or the seat. I chose the wheel.

Yes, there are two torx screws on the back of the 124 wheel I'm
looking at, too.  "Easy to remove" and then what?  I'm guessing it
comes out and you can easily unplug it, set it somewhere safe, then go
about removing the actual wheel?  (I have done the latter on a
pre-airbag 107... seems to me there was just one big [and VERY tight]
nut holding the wheel on.)

Exactly.  Except it's not a nut anymore, it's a big Allen-headed
bolt.  Very easy to strip the head, in relation to the nut.  I had
to chisel one out, that was no fun.  If need be, get an extra set
of hands on there to prevent the wrench slipping and ruining the
bolt head.

-- Jim