you have to remove the steering wheel.

Alex Chamberlain wrote:
Is there a way to R&R the combo (wiper/turn signal/high beam) switch
on a 300E without pulling the steering wheel?  I thought I remembered
someone talking about that recently here, but can't find it in the
archives.  I got a junkyard switch assembly from eBay, and the combo
switch and cruise control stalk appear to be permanently attached to a
sort of mounting ring which presumably must slip over the steering
column behind the wheel---but if there's any way to avoid removing the
dreaded airbag, I'd love to know it.

Thanks,
Alex