On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 06:01:26 -0600 Hans Neureiter <diese...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Rates are ~ $ 15 a day.

$15 a day?! I see you haven't rented for a while.

I went on the Budget Car Rental site (http://www.budget.com) and found
that going to the rental office at the Los Angeles airport (the other LA),
renting a standard- or full-size car, picking it up on 5 June and
returning on 15 June, will be $311.41 for an Aussie (it will be $244.14
for a US resident
-- they do record your driver's license information). So that's $31/day.
Plus gasoline costs. That is down from what it was a few years ago (which
was $60 - 70/day).

> You could combine air travel for long distance and rent wheels locally
> (LA to Chicago = ~ 2000 miles or +30 hrs driving).

Now that's a good suggestion. I prefer travelling Southwest Airlines
(http://www.southwest.com) when possible. The airports from/to which they
fly are listed at
http://travel.southwest.com/travel/exploreTravel.html?tabType=routeMap&int=GSUBNAV-AIR-ROUTEMAP
 ,
and includes Los Angeles, Chicago Midway, Milwaukee, La Guardia and Las
Vegas.

Craig