the engine is in the garage tore apart waiting for me to do something with it, the car is sitting just outside the garage in the driveway.

Mitch Haley wrote:
Hans Neureiter wrote:
Train travel in the US is more like a luxury cruise,except in the DC - NY
City area. Quite expensive and little flexibility.

That's a good comparison. The train can be your hotel, your restaurant, and your transportation, if you pay for a sleeping compartment. Four years ago the food was excellent, but I've heard that might have changed. The train ride up the coast from LA to San Fran is quite scenic. Trains have scheduling problems, mostly in the areas where passenger trains yield to freight trains. It's possible for Amtrak to get you to a station after the train you were supposed to ride out of the station left.

If you could have a lister inspect and procure a car for you, touring the country in a 300D 2.5 or a 300SDL would be quite nice. If you buy it in California and sell it in Illinois/Wisconsin, you might even turn a profit. If you relive the POS SDL saga while on vacation, that would not be fun or profitable. I wonder if it's feasible to take a train to Tulsa and find a usable car at Okie Acres? Seems like that place has more drivers than reliable cars these days. How's Reggie's W140 doing?

Mitch.

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com