I think you'll find smoking laws vary wildly by state. New England is basically
the center of the civilized world for anti-smoking meaning theres a lot of
places you can't smoke but we don't get lame about it like CA does.
While you're in LA don't plan on smoking ANYWHERE... Seriously. In Burbank you
can't smoke within something like 500' of a window or door. Doesn't matter if
its open (or capable of being opened) or not...

Don't plan on smoking on the train, or in the airport, bus terminal, subway,
train station or restaurant in most of the states. I believe some states,
particularly in the south, will still allow smoking sections in restaurants but
nowhere in the northeast still does that I know of.

Good riddance too...

Anyway I think Amtrak is a pretty good, relatively civilized way to travel but
plan on it being at least a little slower than any reported timetable. I know
nothing of Chi-town and the surround, I'm sure some of our locals (Mao and
Luther) will pipe up on it.

In Vegas be sure to check out the Gold and Silver Pawnshop of "Pawnstars" fame.
Apparently there are some fantastic sub$100 rooms to be had this year at good
hotels.Theres a tapas place on Paradise Blvd thats worth checking out, food
gets cheaper the farther you get from the strip, Paradise is roughly parallel
to the strip but 2 streets over. Renting a car in Vegas only makes sense if
you're not going to be on the strip. The traffic on the strip is terrible...
Cabs in Vegas are the most expensive I've ever seen (2-3x New York) every ride
will cost at least $10.

LA covers a huge area both good and bad. What I'd guess you really want to see
is Hollywood. Theres a decent Comfort Inn just of Hollywood Blvd thats
relatively inexpensive while being within walking distance for stuff like
Hollywood Blvd. A car rental in LA isn't a bad idea, get one with GPS though I
always have a helluva time finding the car return at LAX. LAX is by the way one
of the better airports to travel through, so is Vegas although the landings in
Vegas can be epic depending on the winds.

I dunno anything about huge gunshops, I think thats probably a southern thing.
I try to avoid huge anythings...

-Curt