Fay,

Having lived in the Milwaukee area and used O'Hare airport for a lot of
international travel, I can tell you that there are several private bus
services that run regular routes to/from O'Hare and Milwaukee, if you choose to
visit there.

Also, if you are considering air travel within the States, one of the best
(cheapest) and reliable carriers is Southwest Airlines (www.southwest.com)

They are a "short haul" airline that prides itself on low fares and good
service.  They typically serve smaller airports in major cities, such as Midway
on the south side of Chicago.  Booking now will get you some pretty good fares.
 I just booked a couple of round trip tickets from Indianapolis to Tampa, and
it was only $87/person each way ($174.00 per person total.)  You can only book
them through their Web site - they do not participate in any of the large
travel aggregators like Orbitz or others.  I'm sure your travel agent can book
them as well.

I'm not sure I would "ride the dog" if I were you.  It's cheap, but very slow,
and probably the most "colorful" members of our society use it.  If you're
looking to immerse yourself in the culture, fine, but I would not consider it
for any lengthy travel.

And while you didn't mention Indianapolis, if your travels bring you through
the area, we are more than happy to put you and the brood up at "Chez Penoff".
We have plenty of room and are located close to a couple of major interstate
highways, depending on the direction you're heading.  Just let us know so we
can expect you....

Dan