Send me you address if you are interested.
Mike
michael...@charter.net

On Mar 25, 2010, at 12:27 PM, R A Bennell wrote:

Hello Mike

I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of Michael Esh
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:20 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Keys once more

Randy,
What area of the country do you live in?
Mike
On Mar 24, 2010, at 7:31 PM, R A Bennell wrote:

My old 115 300D came with a key with the hard plastic head. I
ordered a couple of new ones through the local dealer
as the original was a bit worn. The new ones came with the soft
plastic heads and they have not lasted. Both have
broken in a short time. I managed last summer with just the metal
part but that is not all that much fun - hard on
the fingers - especially since I have to use it to lock the doors.

In any event, I have pondered a couple of choices and now am
thinking of a 3rd one. My first idea was to make
wooden heads as I think I have seen referred to on this forum in the
past. I was going to use my Dremel with the
router base to carve out a depression shaped like the top of the key
on a couple of thin pieces of wood and glue
them together. Seems a bit fiddly to me but I guess it could make a
strong key. Another possibility was to use thin
plywood as it might have more strength than wood?

My second thought was just to contact Rusty and see if he can supply
the soft part only. If I got a dozen of the
darned things I would be ok for a few years. My only concern on that
is that I might not notice the thing was
breaking and I might lose my key. A problem if one is not at home
and cannot start the car.

Now, my new  thought is resin. I wondered about supporting the key
and pouring some sort of resin over and around
it to form a head. Would need some carved out depression to form a
reasonably shaped head and then might have to
work on cleaning the edges up etc afterwards. However, I wondered
what sort of resin I might use and how strong
these are. I recall many years ago one of our old neighbors was
making stuff like one sees sold at craft sales in
church basements - pennies in a paperweight sort of things.

Anyone else got a good idea of how to fix the bu**ered key without
making a monstrosity or doing a silly amount of
handwork? I like woodworking but miniature stuff is not my strong
point.

Randy