The vacuum pump has 3 check valves (poppet valves), one to the engine
(exhaust) and 2 from the vacuum system (intake).
If the exhaust poppet fails, your piston or diaphragm will be full of crud
and there will be little vacuum which will take a long time to build up.
Pulling vacuum on the pump from the in line check with a Mityvac will be
impossible.
If one of the intake poppets fail, nothing other will result than no vacuum.
If two poppets, one on each side, fail, there is a chance of oil entering
the lines due to blow-by pressuring up the crankcase. Unlikely to happen.