From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:17 PM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 124 ball joints.

I tried the press and whacking the LCA but no luck.

I already notice a great improvement from the rear subframe bushings. After that, it became evident the front end was part of the problem. I knew the ball joints needed changing, but last week I found the steering idler arm was sloppy. It is amazing how new bushings in the idler arm tighten up the feel of a car. This will be really nice after I finish and get an alignment done. Should drive like a race car then.

Does anyone know the P/N for the dust covers that are supposed to go over the struts? I want to see if the stealer has any in the morning.

This morning I figured out the SDL needs the steering idler bushing too! It looks like it needs ball joints too, so I guess I will tackle that in a week or two. I want to check the front subframe bushings in it also, because the rear ones were not bad. It does ride better with the new bushings. The 126 is probably the easiest bushings I have done, of 123, 124 and 126. It helps to have southern, (no salt) cars to work on. The 123 spent 12 or 15 years in the salt.

You will be amazed at the difference when you get the alignment done -- it's like a whole new car.

My "new" 300D was terribly noisy on the highway, sounded like a bad muffler. All new bits up front and a new steering box and I have a new car -- very quite (except all the noise from the rear suspension now), no drift, no pulling, no vibration.

Worth every bit of the work to get there, including the steering box.

Using a press to get the ball joint out works just fine IF you have the correct sleeve to press on the outer edge. A couple bangs on the end of the control arm once you get some pressure on it will start it moving, and then it's easy.

Peter