Order the whole rear link kit from Rusty, it always goes on sale right after I buy 124 links from him at regular price. (it is on sale now because I just re-did the 300D rear suspension) Also order the subframe mounts. Rusty knows what you need. Just call him. There are 2 front and 2 rear subframe bushings (for the rear subframe) on the 124. If you car is not too rusty, you probably don't need new bolts. If your car is rusty, you may want to order the new bolts or the kit with the bolts for the bushings. The official "please don't sue me" practice is to replace the bolts. I've been happy with the old bolts on my non-rusty car.

If you reuse the bolts, you might want to have some loctite on hand. But I have never had a problem with bolts coming lose. For triumph and other shaker motorsickles you can't live without locktite. On my MBs and BMW motorsickles, I don't remember ever using locktite. The 124 suspension parts have self-locking nuts or blue loctite on them from the factory, but I think that is a "don't sue me " CYA.

For the rear links, be sure what you order has the new bolts and bushings. The parts you will get are 210 parts and use smaller bolts, and some you will need bushings for to compensate for the smaller bolt.

I did have the big bolt break once on a 126, so for a 123 or 126, ordering the new bolts is a good idea. Those are single bushings

Hi Gang -
Have been following this thread as I'd like to restore my rear suspension one day. It doesn't seem bad - I don't notice any specific problems but with nearly 180K Mi on it, it's just a matter of time.

Looking at Rustys site I found these parts:
W0133-1614000    Subframe Bushing Kit
W0133-1629778    Subframe Mounting Kit
W0133-1624039   Subframe Mount

The only things Rustys site is lacking IMHO is a "Wish List" and a "number Req'd column".

Can some one tell me how many of the above parts I will need. What else might I need (other than shocks)? I've never done much suspension work except to the front of the 78 240D but I have lots of tools and am patient - what "Special Tools" will I need?

Thx!

LarryT
91 300D

OilAnalysis Time?
Looking for Weber Parts or Porsche Posters?
www.youroil.net