I did struts on a 201 which is the same, I did not use a spring compressor. It was about the same as regular shocks, except easier I do believe.

OK Don wrote:
The car got new ball joints, new tires, and an alignment. It's a different
car now! Much better.
The struts are leaking, but not too bad, and are still functioning. However,
it's only a matter of time until I'll have to replace them.
Looking at the FSM CD, though they tell you to use a spring compressor, they
also hint that you might be able to change them without it.

"*The shock absorber struts serve simultaneously as the rebound stop for the
front wheels. For this reason loosen shock absorber strut suspension only
when the vehicle is standing on the wheels, the wishbone is supported or the
spring compressor with tensioning plates is installed."*
Has anyone replaced the struts with  car on ramps, or using a jack under the
wishbone?

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com