On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:48:16 -0400 Trampas Stern <tst...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> On a W126 you can change the u-joint yourself. Neapco makes a
> replacement u-joint which has clips on the inside of the yoke.
>
> Here is the neapco catalog:
> http://www.neapco.com/pdf/2007universaljointcatalog.pdf
>
> The part number that is a drop in replacement is 1-0431 and can be
> purchased here:
> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Universal-Joint-Neapco_15270023-P_17_R|GRPUCVSAMS____

The only listing of Mercedes in the Neapco catalog is on page 396, where
it is a part of a competitor's cross-number table:

            MERCEDES BENZ
        1634101001      1-0153
        A1634101001     1-0153

In addition, the web page has a link "Find out if this part fits your
car.      Select a Vehicle".

That link says the Part No. 1-0431 does not fit a 1984 300SD.

Something seems amiss.

> I have replaced the one in my W126 with this part, the hardest part was
> getting old u-joint out. Here use dremel tool to remove stakes. Then
> press out. I had to press cups out, cut end of cups off and then remove
> needle bearings to get old joint out. Again this was not much harder
> than any other u-joint for replacement.

On what do the clips index to center the U-joint in each yoke?

Craig