From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of archer
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:55 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] High pressure A/C leak?

> From: "Walt Zarnoch" <zarnoch...@gmail.com>
>> Get some of that neon dye in a can?
>> Walt

>> On Jul 8, 2010 12:53 AM, "Jim Cathey" <j...@windwireless.net> wrote:
>>> One problem with testing under the hood with engine running is that
>>> the air flow from the fan does...
>> Remove the fan.  Four little bolts, isn't it?
>> Try bubble solution painted over the compressor manifold.
>> -- Jim
> ---------------------------------
> Thanks.  I'll try them.
> Gerry
Gerry wrote:
Found the leak!  Decided to try one more time with the freon detector
after adding plenty of freon and letting the car sit in the shop all
night.  Went into the shop very slowly this morning so as to not create
any more air currents than necessary, and went over everything in the
engine compartment.
When I got to the compressor with the detector set on high sensitivity,
the detector buzzed at the bottom of the compressor shaft but not at the
top.
Double checked this and all possible leak points around it, and got a
positive every time I stuck the probe under the shaft between the
compressor and the clutch.  Therefore, it must be the shaft seal in the
compressor?

Since I also need a compressor for the other 123, might try to replace
the seal in one of the defective ones.  Didn't you write something about
replacing a compressor seal some time ago, Jim?

Many thanks,
Gerry.....who has had little A/C experience.
'83 300D and 240D