John M McIntosh wrote:
Now that cold weather as set in I've been chasing a gremlin in the climate control.

First this 90's wagon has manual fan speed/vent control with dual temp controls.

It slowly cycles between blowing mid temp, to hot, then to cold when you've set things to say 20c

I replaced the interior temp sensor, but testing of the old one seems to show it's ok anyway
and the behaviour did not change.

At the duo-valve assembly, I cleaned the contacts and I know that if it's disconnected that I get heat even if dials are set to min cold. Plugging in the circuits gives me hot at max, and cold at min. Ohms across the valves gives zero. So I assume the valves mostly close
otherwise I would not get cold air on both sides.

My cheap digital multi-meter won't show voltage cycling, but I get 12.75 on heat, and 13.5ish on cold on both sides of the plug
(3 prong, assuming center plug is ground).

So does this imply the push button unit is bad?
Thoughts are welcome.

The manual climate control system is unlike ANYTHING that's documented in the US manuals. From you description, It's not like my Euro 201 either.

See if you can find someone on the Continent (like Richard Becker) that has the diagnostics of that system. That's your best bet.

I agree with Peter, it could be the aspiration blower. Will the blower pull enough air thru the vent to suck smoke in or hold a piece of tissue against the vent where the cabin sensor lives? When it fails the temperature control usually becomes erratic and uncorrelated to what you select.

Marshall

--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)