You will be plopping down that $4,000 either way - do you want to keep
spending it on the car you know, or on a different one? My experience is
that when I buy a $4,000 car, I put in another $1,000 to $2,000 getting it
up to snuff.
I traded off a great SDL because the paint was in really bad shape, but
otherwise it was very sound car. I just couldn't bring myself to spend
$2,000 or more on a decent paint job that only made it look better. My wife
hated having it in the drive as it was.
Your experience with the bearing is one reason we have more than one car for
me to drive - there's no pressure to get it fixed today - I have the luxury
of ordering parts from Rusty --

--
OK Don
Panic! (the national past time).