From: Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com>
Sender: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:09:59
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Quandary

Mercedes steering is more precise.  The dial indicator is for
precision.  I have always done them the same way I did detriot iron.
Over many 100s of thousands of miles, I have never had a problem, and
never used a dial indicator.  But I don't run on a track either.
Just on ordinary American roads.  If you run on European roads, you
may need the precision more.  (or roads in most of the rest of the
world.)  Ever seen the narrow roads, sheer cliffs with no railings
and tight switchbacks?

After driving my old 190Dc, a detriot car of the 70s feels like
herding sheep.  Fortunately Detriot iron has gotten better.  My 84
Escort Diesel had rock and pinion and handled well.