On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Mountain Man <maontin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> My son runs this.
> I guess it has the best java support in linux?

If you're looking for Javascript performance, you should switch to
Opera.  Not sure that's really your issue though it probably wouldn't
hurt.

> I know my fedora installation stalled at google today, as they had
> some type of animated applet display celebrating the buckyball
> anniversary.  The taskbar applet showing processor use shoots to 100%
> at google, which essentially shuts any other operations down.  What a

Try browsing with JS disabled (noscript plugin in FF), that's what I
do at work.  Alternatively, recompile Links to run without X, gave new
life to some of our old laptops.  I hate X on old machines. :)

If you don't use flash you should get rid of it.  That's where all my
recent spikes and hangs have come from.  Noscript at least has helped
block anything I don't specifically approve but it takes a lot of
patience to train.

> krock that is.  So, I guess I will have my son install ArchLinux and
> get chrome to run as my browser.

Seems like overkill, you probably aren't going to have a lot going on
in the background now so your performance should be similar with Arch
or * Linux in the same GUI.

> Does anyone else have experience with ArchLinux?

I've only started to hear of it recently, but it seems to have gotten
quite popular in the last 6 months (or at least that's when I started
hearing about it a lot more).

-Tim
RHEL5, OEL5, and Debian, waiting for RHEL6 release...