Weird. I guess it could happen if the flywheel was machined a little out of tolerance small and was not caught in manufacturing, combined with a large end of the tolerance ring gear. My guess is that one or the other was out of tolerance. Made a good deal for you! I know there were some odd things that escaped the factory when the turks were starting to be brought in.

A few years ago I bought a 240D parts car that wouldn't start.  The
starter would spin free, it sounded like it wasn't grabbing the ring.
I wacked the starter with a hammer a few times to see if that would
help, but then just took the car apart.  I needed the trans for my
300D.  Turned out the ring gear was loose on the flywheel... you could
actually move it a bit by hand.

The car only had 140,000 miles and ended up being great for parts.
Paid $300, took what I needed, and sold it for $300.

Jaime