Ah!  good idea.  If the fluid/pan look bad, i will use that trick.

Dieselhead wrote:
Wonder if i can drill a hole in it and then thread in one of those self-tapping drain plugs, or even a metal building screw with the washer and neoprene seal. The plug may cause an imbalance, but I doubt the screw would cause significant imbalance. I guess I could put in 2 plugs/screws 180 degrees apart. I suppose the clearance to the vanes may be too close. Anyone cut a modern TC open?

Sounds like a good way to make a leak.
When a friend of mine burned the fluid in his Caravan, (one generation before yours) I changed the filter, unhooked the cooler line to the radiator, plugged the cooler line into a clear vinyl hose, and let the engine idle until the fluid coming out suddenly changed from brown to pink. Apparently it did not mix in the torque converter, the new fluid pushed out the old, and the change was obvious when the old was gone and the new started coming out.

Then I hooked up an axillary cooler and adjusted the fluid level. The tranny held up for as long as they owned the van, but I think that was only a couple of years after I installed the cooler.

Mitch.