Fred -
Sound to me like the cold engine sensor is not working. Did you get the pdf
file that I sent you (07.3-112.pdf 2Mb) early Saturday AM? It was the file
that Jamie was referring to. Not sure how your SL is set up but on my '81
there is a temperature sensor in the back of the right cylinder Head that is
used by the idle speed computer to give you fast idle when the engine is
cold. When the engine warms up the sensor (closes?) and sends a signal to
the idle speed computer so that the idle speed then drops to normal. As I
recall the test to see if that circuit and sensor is working was just to
pull off the connector from the sensor. That should equal fast idle. Short
the connector should drop to warm idle. Don't trust my memory read the pdf
before you try that. Also I think I remember seeing that in the later 116
engines they used oil temperature instead of water temp. but that would be
in the pdf. Let me know if you didn't get the file and I'll try to send it
again. I can break it into 2 smaller files if your mail server choked on the
2Mb file.

Barry