Dunno the oversteer/understeer theory, and it doesn't matter much to me. What I know is that if the front does not steer, you have no control. Yes, the back can slip so far and fast that it exceeds the maximum turn mechanically, or it can occur faster than you can react. For most drivers (inexperienced with skids) they over correct which causes gyrations in in harmonic or unharmonic mode, with harmonic leading to unhapppy results. I have gotten into trouble by not reacting fast enough on ice or not reacting to a high enough degree, but that is less disastrous than harmonic overcorrection. (Harmonic being a condition in which the amplitude of the oscillations amplifies in each 1//2 cycle)

in practical application, the most scared I have been is when the FWD veehicle has lost traction on the front axle.

 > I generally keep not so good tires on the rear so I don't ruin good
 tires when this happens, and for safety, the best tires should always
 be on the front axle.

There is an on-going debate about this. If you have poor tires on the
rear, the rear will have less traction and will break loose earlier than
the front. This will cause massive oversteer that some drivers are not
able to handle. The other way around, you get understeer, which is
inherently easier to handle.

Craig