I heard the same unsubstantiated stuff 30-35 years ago when "gasohol" first came out. how many cars sold in Brazil are different that what is sold here? not much. Toada doesn't make "brazil only" cars, nor do US manufacturers.

The anti -ethanol lobby uses outdated information about outdated process to misinform the public and support the house of saud and other petroleum interests. This list is made up of many very intelligent people. I am appalled that you ignore all the subsidies for petroleum, all the "foreign aid" and defense budget that goes to support the petroleum industry, and repeat the arab-petroleum propaganda that is just not true. Please research credible sources of information and count the petroleum subsidies to be fair.

Yes, there is currently a tax credit for BLENDERS of alcohol fuel. Not for farmers, not for ethanol plants, but for the blenders, who are primarily petroleum distributors and petroleum companies. That blenders credit is about to go away Jan 1 without your input.

Current ethanol technology is way ahead of technology used 30 years ago. It is also outdated. Ethanol will not go away. The production costs will just get lower. Right now, all current ethanol plants are outdated.

Corn ethanol for vehicle fuel is about to be displaced by cellulosic ethanol. The technology is here now. No plants are built yet, but the technology is here now. I have seen it work. Cost of production is estimated to be less than a dollar a gallon for pure ethanol versus about $1.80-$2/gal for corn ethanol. Feedstock is essentially anything green and growing, including trees. If you know anyone with a million or three sitting on the sidelines, this is a good investment. A very large company who makes a lot of alcohol from sugar cane is already licensing the technology. This new process lowers the production cost and increased the alcohol yield from their sugar cane.

I have never been a fan of corn alcohol. But ethanol as a fuel is well proven. There is no reason to bash it in support of the arab-petroleum-opec folks.

Last week some uninformed columnist in ORLANDO, FL bashed ethanol, and that is really ironic, because FL was screaming the loudest about the oil in the Gulf this summer, claiming gulf oil tarballs were on their beaches. The last I heard, the FL tarballs analyzed were not from the blown out well.

It is the greenie weenies that have mandated low emissions, thus requiring oxygenated "gasoline" fuels. Which would you rather be around, MTBE or ethyl alcohol? I will pick pure Kaintucky feud oil anytime over a poisonous carcinogen. Alcohol is the best oxygenating agent available.

You can make alcohol out of taters, termaters, sugar beets or whatever, if you'd rather eat field corn to save the field corn from the disgrace of being turned into alcohol and pork as our forebearers have done since hitting these shores. Ever read about the whiskey rebellion?

I'd rather eat the taters and termaters and pork and let the hogs and poultry eat the corn or DDG. Ethyl alcohol has been around for a long time, and will not go away. Cheers!

Problem is that 10% seems to be *generally* OK (except for boaters where it is a HUGE problem, and for your home power equipment) but above that it can get problematic for older fuel systems that can corrode or dissolve. Approval to go to 15% will cause lots of problems, both with vehicles and equipment as well as economic. This is purely pandering to the farm.ethanol lobby, is energy inefficient, and will cost us all lots more money to get some votes for the politicians (all of them, not just the present crowd).

--R