Make sure he knows to end up in cold country with a low fuel level, then buy winter fuel locally. Or add 25% #1 fuel.

And as always, be sure there is no water in the  tank.

 Fmiser wrote:
 > I'm borrowing a '98 Powerstroke for a trip.
 >
 > Forecast suggests the morning temperatures will be near zero.

 A friend has a 2001 with that engine. If there's a block
 heater, he's never used it. It's seen a few Michigan winters
 now. Turn the key, wait for the light to go out, and hope both
 batteries are good.

 For more specific instructions, consult the owner of the truck
 you're driving.

Well, you see. We are in south Missouri.  The weather here is
rarely really cold and never for very long.  So his experience
is limited with regard to _cold_ weather.

But I knew there were folks on this list who would know tricks -
if there are any.

--  Philip