From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com on behalf of Fmiser
Sent: Wed 3/24/2010 10:42 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fixed my Cruise using Jim C's guide

> Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 53310 wrote:

> Thanks for your write-up and advice.  What is the best way to
> strip off the varnish?  I didn't notice any corrosion, but
> will keep your wire brush tip in mind.  I have an ancient
> home-made soldering iron, the tip is a little gross for this
> work, so I need to procure a better iron - can you recommend a
> model?

The best non-expensive unit I know is from MCM Electronics part
number 21-8125
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-8125    $6.19

They also carry my favorite solder.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-2280   1 lb $20.99

While your at it, you can get a decent little stand with a
tip-cleaning sponge.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-8165   $5.09

> One site I read cautioned that overheating components like the
> integrated circuits was a potential pitfall to a DIY
> approach.  I did a lot of soldering in college, so I'm pretty
> confident I know how much heat is enough to get a good joint.
> Do you think any of the components on this board are
> especially sensitive to heat?

No, they are pretty big, heavy components.  Sure, they can still
be cooked, but watch the solder flow and don't heat longer than
necessary and you will probably be just fine.

--   Philip