> ....What's the consensus on reliability of these things?  Stay away and
> get a W221 instead, or had M-B fixed the early problems with the model
> by 2003?  I can't imagine there are too many other ways to get 493 HP
> (according to Wikipedia) for $16K...

My friend SJB bought an S430 in the first or second year of these cars
(Sindelfingen delivery) and it was a typical new MB of those years, very
dependent on the warranty until most components had been replaced. A friend who
is
the parts and service manager at a local dealer (not my dealer) said to me
that owning one of these things after warranty expiration could be compared
to having several young children with no health insurance.

He traded the car when the depreciation reached $1K monthly.

The V-12 is to be avoided like the plague, keeping in mind that you are
still saddled with maintaining a 100K plus car, regardless of what you pay for
it used.

The W221 is vastly better in every category and much more reliable.

RLE