I can vouch for the V12 overall being a quite reliable engine... we
run two at work (we have to take what they can give us) in a W221 and
C216.  Both are at around 100kmiles, have had hard lives, but still
start and run well.  We maintain them carefully to avoid any suprises,
but so far so good.  Over all, the rest of the cars have held up very
well also.  We've had a few repairs here and there, but nothing too
frightening.  Like any car, its how you treat it, and how its
maintained.  Its the kind of car you want to buy from the original
owner with a stack of dealer records (like all Mercedes).

They do, however, eat tires... we need to get new snow tires in the
rear every year.  But, really, they're not too bad in a few inches if
the car is properly equipped.

Jaime