124 Fans,

Tonight I took the rear suspension spring links (for '95 E300) to a shop
to have the old inner bushings pressed out and new pressed in.  We found
that the spring link sleeve that holds the bushing seems to be tapered,
so that pressing in the new bushing would be much easier when starting
at the wide end.  At first the technician thought I had bushings that
were too small, as they fit into one end of the sleeve rather loosely (I
had managed to extract one bushing partially).  He measured the new
bushing and the end of the old that was sticking out, and found the new
to be slightly larger than the old.

Has anyone else found this, OR do I have worn-out spring links?  Car as
275k miles, I'm pretty sure that the rear suspension has never been
worked on.  The FSM does not mention this.

Of course, the inverse is also true; pressing out one way will require
less and less force.  I had been trying to press out the bushing the
wrong way; if I'd started going the other direction, I probably would
have succeeded with my method (long 7/16 bolt, washers, socket, and part
of a pipe).

When I do my wagon, I'll pay attention to flare/no flare on the spring
link and which direction to move the bushing.  I'm also going to get a
piece of 7/16 Acme threaded rod to use in place of the long bolt - I
stripped out threads on two bolts from the hardware store.

-Max
Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon