Creative solution!

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 24, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I had the exact same problem on a 201 a couple years ago. I ran a bead of weld
across the race in 3 or 4 places. The theory is when the weld cools it'll
contract and pull the race in with it. Seemed to work in my case.

-Curt

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:27:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Dimitri Seretakis <dsereta...@yahoo.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] Wheel bearing replacement

I'm
trying to replace the front wheel bearing on my 71 280SL and I'm having
a hard time driving out the smaller race (the one closer to the lock
nut). I tried with a brass punch but the harder metal of the race chewed
it up. I then tried a pin punch for driving out brake pad retaining
pins but it just slips as the edge profile of the race is not enough to
get a good grip. Any other tips? Does putting the hub in the freezer
help?